Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vitamins, are they really bad for us?

Recently there has been a spate of articles in the press stating that the very vitamins we have been encouraged for years to take as daily nutritional supplements may in fact significantly decrease our lifespan. Just today I read an article that said Vitamin E, which has been recommended for years as the best way for men to reduce the risk of cancer, may be responsible for an increase in prostate cancer. Does this sound vaguely familiar to the cycle of "eat eggs they are good food....don't eat eggs because they are bad for cholesterol.....to once again, eat eggs cause they're good for you"?? There are studies that show virtually anything you want them to, so what are we to believe? Are there studies available through the AMA which has conclusive data and results? Should we all immediately stop taking our 1-a-days?

Vitamins are drugs. Drugs are chemicals. Food at its essence is chemicals as well. But, no one is recommending we stop eating, are they? We will always be reminded, and rightfully so, to eat responsibly. Eat healthy foods. Eat balanced diets. Eat smaller, more appropriate, portions (not "super-sizing" everything). Often we find this sage wisdom easier said than done for any number of legitimate reasons. Vitamins taken in the appropriate and recommended daily dosages, are meant to help us with healthy balances when our food intake and diet do not.

I am not a doctor. I am not a research scientist. I do; however, consider myself to be educated and in good health. My good health I attribute to eating "pretty" healthy most of the time and I take daily vitamin supplements to help me with balancing my nutrition. I also exercise regularly, drink lots of water, and get an annual check up with my doctor during which I always get my blood tested.

I for one am not going to give up my vitamins since I believe they do help me stay healthier than I might be otherwise. I hope I am right about this. I will continue to watch the media for any further information that gets conveyed and should it begin to show conclusive data that vitamins are indeed bad for us, then I will change my diet by eating my words.

No comments:

Post a Comment