Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Seniors and their pets....

Last week my mother's dog died.

My Mom is 87 years old, and for the past 14+ years has lived alone with her dog, Blackie. Blackie was a mixture of shepherd, collie, and who know what else but to my mom he was pure gold. He was her sole, and soul, companion for most days. They had a very special relationship to say the least. Seven years ago my Mom was diagnosed with stomach cancer and had to have her stomach removed as part of the prescribed therapy. She lives today, healthier than before her diagnosis, thanks to her dog, Blackie. On those days, in the weeks and months immediately following her surgery, when she felt like she couldn't, or didn't want to go on, she did so simply to take care of her dog. She made herself not only get out of bed, during her surgery recovery, but she made herself go out and walk her dog. Not only did this help, if not accelerate, her physical recovery but it also gave her the mental and spiritual activity she needed to stay engaged in her own well being, for the well being of her pet. My family owes a great deal to this animal!

He served not only as her constant companion, but also as her protector. The neighborhood we were raised in, like many in urban areas, has significantly changed over the past 40+ years. The demographics changed along with an absence of pride in home ownership. The collegial family atmosphere of our childhood neighborhood simply disappeared to be replaced with an atmosphere of drugs, hoodlums, violence, and fear. Still, my Mom would walk her dog twice a day without fear. Once, out on one of their early morning excursions, they were attacked by a neighbor's untethered pitbull terrier. Mom ended up with multiple wounds on her forearms but Blackie prevailed until help arrived in the form of a friendly motorist who noticed their dilemma and stopped to help them. Blackie was known and respected throughout her neighborhood. Candidly, this protected Mom...kept her safe in her home as most knew to keep their distance from her protector, Blackie.

Now Blackie is gone and I find myself worrying much more about my Mom. I worry about her safety and her overall sense of well being. I have tried to convince her to move from her home (and neighborhood) or to get another pet, another "Blackie"; but her response, "I am likely not to be here long enough to raise another dog, and I am not moving from my home!". Many of us tend to take pets for granted, or even find them a nuisance with which we a forced to tolerate. In his death, I have gained new appreciation, not just for Blackie; but, for every pet that provides irreplaceable companionship for our seniors. Anyone, disagree??

No comments:

Post a Comment